The 35th ASEAN and related Summits will be held on 2-4 Nov 2019 at the IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok, Thailand. They will include:
Saturday, 2nd November:
- 35th ASEAN Summit Plenary Session
Sunday, 3rd November:
- ASEAN Business and Investment Summit
- Opening Ceremony of the 35th ASEAN Summit and Related Meetings
- 16th ASEAN-India Summit
- 10th ASEAN-US Summit
Monday, 4 November:
- Indo-Pacific Business Forum
- 22nd ASEAN+3 Summit
- 7th ASEAN-US Summit
- 14th East Asia Summit
- 22nd ASEAN-Japan Summit
- 3rd Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Summit (RCEP)
- Closing Ceremony of the 35th ASEAN Summit and related Summits
Highlights for 35th ASEAN and Related Summits are:
- Conclusion of the RCEP Negotiations: The 16 contracting parties to the RCEP are expected to conclude the negotiations depending on how India’s last minute demands are addressed. Otherwise, it may stretch into 2020 under the ASEAN chairmanship of Vietnam.
- ASEAN outlook on Indo-Pacific (AOIP): Thailand, as chair will pitch for the wider multilateral cooperation framework to convince the non-ASEAN countries. It will elaborate on how the AOIP will be implemented and aligns with the other ASEAN led frameworks. ASEAN’s Treaty of Amity and Cooperation (TAC) will continue to be a central aspect of AOIP cementing ASEAN’s centrality in AOIP.
- Accession to the TAC: Bahrain, Germany, Peru and South Africa will accede to the TAC. There are now 40 signatories to the TAC and Middle Eastern Countries will be a new addition.
- Absence of the US: The biggest disappointment is President Trump’s non-attendance at this summit despite US declaring that the Indo-Pacific as the single most consequential region for America’s future. Some experts have said that this would further decrease the perception of the US as a reliable strategic partner of ASEAN.
In terms of documents, there will be 44 documents to be signed or adopted by the Leaders. They will cover intra-ASEAN, and ASEAN relations with its Dialogue Partner. China will conclude the most agreements while East Asia Summit will adopt statements on Combatting Transnational Crime and Partnership for Sustainability. The ASEAN+3 Summit will issue a statement on Connectivity.